CE Marking for vertical road signs

A legal compliance according to UNI EN 12899

Products and components subject to CE marking:

Regulatory Focus

The conformity of permanent vertical road signs, marketed in the European Union countries, must be demonstrated through Factory Production Control (FPC) initial tests.
The tests must be performed by an independent Notified Body which, after the checks, issues a Conformity Certificate of product performance and allows the application of CE marking to permanent vertical signage .
From 1 January 2013, the CE marking must be obtained in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 305/2011 (CPR) in accordance with EN 12899 and the M/111 mandate given by the European Commission to the CEN (European Committee for Standardisation), which sets out the criteria for the application of harmonised standards to fixed road traffic equipment.

Certification Procedure


RINA is a Notified Body for the certification of product, authorised to operate for the following harmonised standards:


Is the CE marking sufficient to market the signals?
In addition to the application of the CE marking, the manufacturer must draw up and provide a copy of its Declaration of Performance (DOP).

Is it only the road sign supports that needs to be CE-marked?
The CE marking refers to the panel, i.e. the structure that includes the support, reinforcement elements, and hardware.

Are temporary construction site signs subject to CE marking?
No, only permanent vertical road signs have to be CE-marked.

Can initial type tests be performed by the manufacturer?
No, performing the type tests is the task and the responsibility of a Notified Body.


You may also like