24 May 2023
All organizations must complete the V6 upgrade audit before 31 March 2025
FSSC schemes support the consumer goods industry in implementing effective management systems, protecting their brands, and achieving food safety targets.
On 31st of March 2023, the Foundation FSSC published the version 6 of the FSSC 22000 scheme, which will have a 12-month transition window to allow organizations to prepare for the new version and Control Bodies for implementation and gaining accreditation.
The first audits to version 6 will start from 1 April 2024 onwards, and all organizations must complete the V6 upgrade audit before 31 March 2025.
Why an updated version of the FSSC 22000?
- to integrate the requirements of the new ISO 22003-1:2022 “Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of food safety management systems”
- to strengthen the requirements to support organizations in their contributions to meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- to incorporate feedback as a result of theversion 6 development survey, which received nearly 2000 responses.
What are the main changes in Version 6 of the FSSC 22000 scheme?
- realignment of the Food Chain Categories in accordance with ISO 22003-1:2022
- the scope has been expanded to include Trading and Brokering (FII) and reduced by removing Farming (A) and FSSC 22000-Quality from the scheme.
- strengthened existing additional requirements in Part 2 of the scheme, including but not limited to allergen management and environmental monitoring
- integration of the requirements on food safety and quality culture
- new requirements on quality control, food loss and waste, and equipment management
- changes and clarification on requirements for the Certification Process. Some examples: new LOGO use requirements for Certified Organizations (CO), and new Audit Duration requirements which lead to a modification of the audit time calculation for all COs. The audit duration for an upgrade audit shall therefore apply to the next planned regular audit from 1 April 2024 onwards, whether it is a surveillance or recertification audit
- addition of a QR Code on FSSC 22000 certificates for improved traceability.
The Version 6 scheme documents, the upgrade process, and the main changes version are available for download on FSSC Foundation website free of charge.
Contact us for more information