20 - 22 Nov 2019
SMILE, INSULAE and NESOI H2020 Projects: a long-lasting commitment to create a clean energy system for EU Islands!
Do you know that there are more than 2200 inhabited islands in the EU?
Despite having access to renewable sources of energy, such as wind and wave energy, many of them depend on expensive fossil fuel imports for their energy supply.
The “Clean energy for EU islands initiative” was launched in May 2017 and provides a long term framework to help islands generate their own sustainable, low-cost energy, that will result in:
- Reduced energy costs and greatly increased production of renewable energy and the construction of energy storage facilities and demand response systems, using the latest technologies
- Better energy security for islands, which will be less reliant on imports
- Improved air quality, lower greenhouse gas emissions, and less impact on islands' natural environments
- The creation of new jobs and business opportunities, boosting islands' economic self-sufficiency
We are glad to announce that Stefano Barberis – RINA Low Carbon Energy & Smart Energy Management R&D Opportunities – and Francesco Peccianti – RINA Corporate Research & Development Project Technical Coordination - will take part in the fourth Clean energy for EU islands forum.
Our commitment to create clean energy systems for EU islands is long-lasting:
- We are Coordinator of SMILE, a project funded from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 731249 to foster the market introduction of nine different smart grid technologies on three different islands (Madeira, Orkney and Samsø). SMILE technologies vary from the integration of battery technology, power to heat, power to fuel, pumped hydro, electric vehicles, electricity stored on board of boats to an aggregator approach to demand side management to predictive algorithms;
- We are partner of INSULAE, a project funded from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement No 824433 working on how energy storage can facilitate RES integration in connected and disconnected islands also with RINA Consulting Ltd Support;
- We are a key partner of NESOI (GA 864266), the New EU ISland Facility Platform which aims to provide both funding opportunites and professional on-site technical assistance to Local Authorities to promote their low carbon energy transition via activities such as energy analyses, business and financial modelling, definition of tender procedures, support to small low carbon installation and much more on EU islands.
Stay tuned for more updates!