An enabling technology is, by definition, an innovation, that can be applied to drive radical change in the capabilities of a user. In the inspection field, new technologies can support human inspectors augmenting their capabilities; smart helmets are therefore employed to support traditional visual inspections.
The Kiber Helmet is a wearable device for onboard engineers that, combined with Kiber Communication software, connects them with inspectors or specialised experts ashore.
Kiber Helmet capabilities
- allows engineers and inspectors to see what the person wearing the helmet is seeing in real time
- enables high-resolution image capture and real-time mark-up of images
- supports easy document share
- permits multiple people support sessions, with video recording and playback
- reduction of travel time and related costs
- one single point of collection for photos, video and documents
- fewer miscommunications
- possibility to involve the right capability also remotely.
Who can benefit from the service?
- classification Societies, to carry out remote inspection activities, when allowed by regulations
- shipowners and ship managers, to provide remote assistance from ashore for crew members onboard ships
- other entities, to perform ad-hoc remote surveys.
The Kiber application software works also on mobile/tablet devices optimising the bandwidth required.