Chemical Analysis Laboratory has the purpose to support our research activities in the field of iron and steel analysis and to carry out analyses for customers on contract basis.
The laboratory takes part in the Italian standardization process for the chemical analysis sector of the iron and steel industry, as well as in environmental control: in this respect, we contribute to the study, setting up and drafting of methods and guidelines discussed and standardized in Italy (UNI, UNICHIM, UNSIDER).
Areas of expertise
- Steel, iron ores, slags
- Metal alloys
- Process solution
- Water: ultrapure, drinking, ground and waste water
- Soils and solid wastes.
Focus on labs & facilities
- Microwave oven for the acid digestion of many kinds of samples in closed vessels
- Diffusible hydrogen LECO instrument for the assessment of the hydrogen content in metal samples
- O,N,H analyser LECO instrument for the analysis of metallic samples
- Carbon and sulfur fast analyzer LECO for the analysis of metal alloys, refractory materials, powders, slags and wastes
- X ray fluorescence spectrometry for the analysis of all kinds of steels, metal alloys, refractory materials, powders, oxide mixtures, cements, slags and wastes
- Fully automatic bead preparation system for melting slags, iron ores and other mineral samples for X ray fluorescence application
- Herzog Pulveriser and HERZOG pellet press for the preparation of samples for x – ray fluorescence analyses
- Plasma source optical spectrometer (ICP-OES) for the analysis of metal elements in water solutions or produced through solids’ dissolution
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) to trace and sub-trace metals in water solutions or produced through solids’ dissolution
- Ion chromatography for the analysis of anions and cations in water solutions or produced by solid matrices’ dissolution
- Laboratory analysis spectrophotometer to analyse waste water, drinking water and process water (BOD5, COD, cyanides, CrVI, phenols, nitrites, nitrates, PCB, TOC, solphites, solphates)
- Accelerated solvent extraction system for the quick stripping of organic compounds from solids
- Gas chromatography- mass spectroscopy for the analysis of organic compounds and organic micro pollutants (PAH, phenols)
- Automatic titrator for the acid-basic and redox evaluation in process waters and solutions.