In the field of structural engineering for industrial applications, the strategic importance of monitoring systems for the static and the dynamic characterization of large infrastructures is well recognized. Asset owners see the benefits of systems able to continuously monitor the state of complex structures and to characterize them during construction, operation, repair and upgrading phases.
We offer Smart Monitoring (SM) services for the integrity management of civil and industrial assets which serve the following purposes:
- Structural integrity monitoring and assessment of loading conditions and safety level
- early damage detection, localization and evaluation
- identification of anomalies and evaluation of their consequences for system reliability, availability and durability
- estimation of residual lifetime of main / critical structural components
- assessment of the response of a structure under real operational conditions
- optimization of Inspection, Maintenance and Repair (IMR) plans.
The activity is carried out in accordance with the RINA governance model, which safeguards impartiality and prevents conflict of interest situations.
The main benefits of a SM system include:
- Provision of turnkey solutions according to your needs
- better understanding of the response of a structure under operational conditions, with increased knowledge of its structural behaviour and, in turn, an increase in active safety
- enhancement of the confidence levels and reduction of the operational risk when introducing new designs, materials and construction processes
- enhancement of survey periodicity, location and scope for the adoption of a Condition-Based Maintenance (CBM) approach
- life extension assessment based on monitoring data analysis.
Depending on the application area and the purpose of the SM, we provide the following products:
- Analysis of the state of health of the asset
- investigation of the structural behaviour of the asset through numerical multi-physics analysis (FEM) to provide threshold settings
- monitoring system design, selection and integration of the most appropriate technologies (open approach)
- inspections, surveys, Factory Acceptance Test (FAT), SM system, Site Acceptance Test (SAT) and training, system commissioning & maintenance
- data collection, storage, handling and mining
- data visualization and warning generation
- data analysis and processing to provide "operationally relevant information"
- data validation, including advanced data analysis techniques and the support of analytical and numerical models.
Thanks to our experience in most industrial sectors and to the multidisciplinary expertise of our staff, we are able to:
- Support asset owners offering a "package" of integrated services to improve the decision making process
- provide technology independent scouting and feasibility analysis during system design
- offer complete technical and administrative project management, from assessment to turnkey implementation, including the adoption of intermediate measures
- provide a cost benefit analysis & HSE risk assessment and guarantee adequate operational HSE standards
- organize a system set-up (e.g. training of staff, developing operative procedures, alert simulations and reaction).