||October 2020 - September 2024
The increasing need for reducing pollution and emissions and increase the resource and energy efficiency has also reached industrial parks around the world, leading to the promotion of Industrial Symbiosis activities (manufacturing and service business seeking enhanced environmental and economic performance through collaboration in managing environmental and resource issues including energy, water, and materials).
CORALIS has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 958337 to create pathways for the decarbonisation of resource and energy intensive sector value chains through the implementation of viable industrial symbiosis approaches combining new business and management strategies with innovative technology-based enablers.
CORALIS methodology will be implemented into a Virtual Assessment Platform assisting the operation of three real industrial areas covering different sectors, geographical dimensions and resources:
- Escombreras (Spain): A novel process for potassium nitrate production enabling the use of by-products, residues and emissions of the industrial area will be installed. Moreover, a detailed analysis for the installation of a Concetrated Solar Power plant at industrial area level will be performed.
- Höganäs (Sweden): An integrated unit for CO2 capture and waste heat recovery from Höganäs steel company will be installed to supply a greenhouse. Further interactions with a fish farm (for exchange of waste heat and organic waste as fertilizers) and the revalorization of slags for civil works and other applications will be also analysed
- Brescia (Italy): A collaborative scheme for industrial waste exchange and valorisation will be implemented in a total of four industries. The objective is to use metal powder, oxides and other industrial wastes for producing steel, iron and aluminium, as well as to substitute coal by biogenic materials. A further analysis for including slags in this scheme and make use of recovered heat into a district heating will be performed.
Last but not least, project innovation will be replicated in three other industrial areas (Basauri-Spain, Linz-Austria and Izmit-Turkey)
In the framework of CORALIS, RINA is mainly responsible for the demonstration activities in Brescia, enabling the recovery of industrial materials to be used as alternative feedstock and therefore reducing the current landfilling ratio in Brescia.
In particular, our activities include:
- development and implementation of key technologies for the recovery of metal wastes
- design and performance adaptations for the utilization of the new alternative resources
- reduction of the quantity of industrial materials being disposed in landfills
- analysis of the potential for further waste reduction and utilization of waste heat
Moreover, we are also in charge of the development recommendations for the standardization Committees.
In conclusion, CORALIS will have three main impacts for the EU industrial sector:
- development of key technologies to be designed and demonstrated, including CO2 capture and use, recovery and valorisation of industrial waste, waste heat recovery and integration of renewable energy sources;
- definition of tools and procedures that enable a secure exchange of information, the establishment of trustful and fluid communication flows, the creation of management and brokerage structures and the development of structures to incubate the methodology towards Industrial Symbiosis design;
- definition of the main business models’ elements to facilitate the creation of win-win relationships and a fair share of benefits between parties. This comprises settlement of price schemes, definition of ownerships models, schemes for risk management and compensation clauses between parties, support in attracting private and public funding etc.
FUNDACION CIRCE CENTRO DE INVESTIGACION DE RECURSOS Y CONSUMOS ENERGETICOS – Spain 2.
FERTIBERIA SA - Spain 3.
QUIMICA DEL ESTRONCIO, SA - Spain 4.
INCRO SA - Spain 5.
AZCATEC TECNOLOGIA E INGENIERIA SL - Spain 6.
RISE RESEARCH INSTITUTES OF SWEDEN AB - Sweden 7.
WA3RM AB - Sweden 8.
LINKOPINGS UNIVERSITET - Sweden 9.
HOGANAS AB - Sweden 10.
RINA CONSULTING - CENTRO SVILUPPO MATERIALI SPA - Italy 11.
ASSOCIAZIONE INDUSTRIALE BRESCIANA - Italy 12.
O.R.I. MARTIN - ACCIAIERIA E FERRIERA DI BRESCIA SPA - Italy 13.
RAFFMETAL SPA – Italy 14.
FONDERIA DI TORBOLE S.R.L. - Italy 15.
FERALPI SIDERURGICA SPA - Italy 16.
SIDENOR ACEROS ESPECIALES SL - Spain 17.
ENERGIEINSTITUT AN DER JOHANNES KEPLER UNIVERSITAT LINZ VEREIN - Austria 18.
BOREALIS AGROLINZ MELAMINE GMBH - Austria 19.
VOESTALPINE STAHL GMBH - Austria 20.
K1-MET GMBH - Austria 21.
Turkiye Petrol Rafinerileri Anonim Sirketi - Turkey 22.
ISTANBUL MADEN VE METALLER IHRACATCI BIRLIKLERI - Turkey 23.
INSTITUTE OF COMMUNICATION AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS -
ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN INDUSTRIAL PROCESSES ASBL - Belgium 25.
RINA CONSULTING SPA – Italy 26.S
CUOLA SUPERIORE DI STUDI UNIVERSITARI E DI PERFEZIONAMENTO S ANNA - Italy 27.
WHITE RESEARCH SPRL - Belgium 28.
EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM - Belgium 29.
INDUSTRIAL MINERALS ASSOCIATION EUROPE - Belgium