||May 2020 -April 2024
EU generates around 350 Mt of construction, renovation and demolition waste (C&DW), excluding excavation wastes: despite the great progress in the management of C&DW over the past two decades, barriers, such as lack of digitalization, difficulties in the traceability of sorted materials, adaptation to the new policies etc., still need to be removed in order to achieve a circular economy in this sector.
ICEBERG has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 869336 to create and integrate smart solutions that support the reverse logistics involved in the recovery and recycling of construction materials including:
- high-value secondary raw materials production technologies to establish market confidence and acceptability of recycled End-of-Life building materials (EBM)
- a demolition support tool to quickly and accurately create a virtual model of the building to be demolished.
- a digital platform and an authentication system based on wireless technologies will be set up to improve the identification and traceability of materials and products.
Validation will be carried out on an industrial scale by means of six case studies in different locations in Europe, covering the circularity of concrete, ceramics, wood, plaster, insulating foams and super-insulating materials.
In the framework of ICEBERG, RINA is mainly responsible for the preparation for Exploitation, IPRs, and Business plans.
This means we are going to:
- develop new circular business models within the circular building network that reduce the number of actors in the value chain and foster new services for building products
- promote high replication of the ICEBERG solutions at European level and worldwide
- boost new green jobs associated with the ICEBERG solutions.
Moreover, we contribute to:
- the LCA and LCC assessment, to identify the potential environmental and financial hotspots of the circular options conceived within the project
- the development of the standardization system and ETA (European Technical Assessment) opportunities.
- the integration of ICEBERG projects’ outputs into RMIS (Raw Materials Information System)
ICEBERG will allow to obtain a reliable estimate of the type and quantities of waste that can be expected, and to know the environmental and economic impact of demolition and waste management.
Moreover, the project will improve the identification and traceability of materials and products.
Last but not least, the project also seeks to improve the reliability and acceptability of recycled materials from construction waste.
FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION - Spain 2.
AGENCIA ESTATAL CONSEJO SUPERIOR DEINVESTIGACIONES CIENTIFICAS - Spain 3.
BESE MIMARLIK MUHENDISLIK INSAAT SANAYI TICARET LIMITED SIRKETI - Turkey 4.
CIMSA CIMENTO SANAYI VE TICARET ANONIM SIRKETI - Turkey 5
. ENVA ENGLAND LIMITED - United Kingdom 6.
EPEA GMBH - PART OF DREES AND SOMMER -Germany 7.
ETABLISSEMENTEN FRANZ COLRUYT NV - Belgium 8.
FUNDACION GAIKER - Spain 9.
GBN GROEP BV - Netherlands 10.
HACETTEPE UNIVERSITESI - Turkey 11.
KEEY AEROGEL- France 12.
KERABEN GRUPO SA- Spain 13.
LENZ INSTRUMENTS SL- Spain 14.
LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY - United Kingdom 15.
OPENBARE VLAAMSE AFVALSTOFFENMAATSCHAPPIJ - Belgium 16.
ORBIX PRODUCTIONS- Belgium 17.
RAMPF ECO SOLUTIONS GMBH & CO. KG - Germany 18.
RINA CONSULTING SPA - Italy 19.
SAINT-GOBAIN CONSTRUCTION PRODUCTSUK LIMITED - United Kingdom 20.
SERIKAT CONSULTORIA E INFORMATICA SOCIEDAD ANONIMA - Spain 21.
SOCIEDAD PUBLICA DE GESTION AMBIENTAL IHOBE SA - Spain 22.
SOPREMA - France 23.
TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT DELFT- Netherlands 24.
Teknologian tutkimuskeskus VTT Oy - Finland 25.
TEPE BETOPAN YAPI MALZEMELERI SANAYI VE TICARET ANONIM SIRKETI - Turkey 26.
TIIHONEN ISMO - Finland 27.
TRACIMAT vzw - Belgium 28.
UNIVERSITEIT LEIDEN - Netherlands 29.
VLAAMSE INSTELLING VOOR TECHNOLOGISCH ONDERZOEK N.V. - Belgium 30.
VIOMICHANIA RITINON MEGARON ANASTASIOS FANIS ANONYMOS ETAIRIA - Greece 31.
VIUDA DE SAINZ SA - Spain 32.
VOLKERWESSELS INFRA COMPETENCE CENTRE BV - Netherlands 33.
C2CA TECHNOLOGY BV Netherlands 34.
LEZAMA DEMOLICIONES SL Spain 35.
PURKUPIHA OY Finland 36.
RINA Prime Value Services