||Start date: 01/11/2016
End date: 31/12/2018
Additive Manufacturing is the process of joining materials to make objects from 3D model data, usually layer upon layer. Nowadays AM technologies have been identified as one of the most promising production technologies at global level. In particular Europe, at both a political and industrial level, possesses great potential to become a world leader in the development and deployment of these technologies, but the global picture for competitiveness of European companies is severely being threatened. This is mainly due to recent developments and important investments made in the field of AM by other countries such as the USA, China and Korea etc. In this context, the overall objective of AM-Motion is to contribute to a rapid market uptake of AM technologies across Europe by connecting and upscaling existing initiatives and efforts, improving the conditions for large-scale, cross-regional demonstration and market deployment, and by involving a large number of key stakeholders, particularly from industry. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 723560.
In the framework of AM-motion, RINA has been in charge of the development and release of a roadmap detailing all the key technical and non-technical priorities identified in order to guide the industrial exploitation of AM research, leading to successful commercialization of AM-based products and services.
The roadmap includes:
- Overview of the current situation of AM technologies based on project clustering realised during the project;
- Exhaustive description of value chains on priority areas identified for the development of AM innovations;
- Description of expected economic impacts with possible identification of the economic indicators;
- Mapping of regional capabilities on AM technologies which are linked to the corresponding VC;
- Description of non-technological aspects considered for the promotion of innovation in AM including knowledge and technology transfer;
- Specific research and innovation actions to implement in the near future related to AM technologies deployment, in alignment with the next Research Programme of the European Commission “Horizon Europe”.
Opportunities for creating synergies (partnering and collaborations) among the main institutions and stakeholders working on AM The draft roadmap is available on the web for all interested European parties and to facilitate future updates.
The final roadmap will be published by the end of December 2018.
In conclusion, AM-motion had the following positive impacts for the EU industrial community:
- Creation of a network of research and industry partners for further RTD and industrial innovation and contribute to the sharing of European best practices
- Early awareness of key innovation developments and anticipation of business trend and market prospects
- The project enabled regulatory authorities to address better the relevant issues based on a thorough assessment of current legal framework, IPR management and standardisation needs
- The project gave suggestions on rationalization of the process to deliver standardization mandates to the European Standards Organisations
- The project is expected to favour investment of financial players in additive technologies application, contributing to market penetration of AM technologies.
NEDERLANDSE ORGANISATIE VOOR TOEGEPAST NATUURWETENSCHAPPELIJK ONDERZOEK TNO Netherlands
TWI LIMITED United Kingdom
COMMISSARIAT A L ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIES ALTERNATIVES France
EUROPEAN REGIONS RESEARCH AND INNOVATION NETWORK ASBL Belgium
IDEA STRATEGISCHE ECONOMISCHE CONSULTING Belgium
BRAINPORT DEVELOPMENT NV Netherlands
AIRBUS OPERATIONS SL Spain
EUROPEAN POWDER METALLURGY ASSOCIATION AISBL Belgium
RINA CONSULTING SPA Italy
SIEMENS AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT Germany
ACOMITE EUROPEEN DE COOPERATION DES INDUSTRIES DE LA MACHINE-OUTIL CECIMO AISBL Belgium
MATERIALISE NV Belgium