China Compulsory Certification (CCC) is a product certification required for various asset groups before being imported, exported or marketed in China. Implemented in 2002 and in force since 2003 following China’s accession to the World Trade Organization, it is a certification mark similar to the European CE mark.
The two most important elements of the Compulsory Chinese Certification (CCC) are product testing (the products to be certified are shipped to the test laboratories in China) and factory inspections (inspection of manufacturers by Chinese inspectors). Once certified, the assurance is valid for several years, as long as the annual follow-up inspections are passed.
Acceptance of the offer is followed by these steps:
- Verification of the certification requirement for products of interest
- complete preparation of the certification request (including assistance in completing the form, contacts with the certification authority, and payment collection)
- full product testing (completion of customs operations, document exchange, payment management, contacts with Chinese testing laboratories and evaluation of test reports)
- complete preparation of the audit (request, coordination and contacts with the certification authority, exchange of documents, payment management, scheduling of the inspection and travel itinerary, as well as supply of requested documents, information and checklists in preparation for the audit)
- one-day pre-audit (with the help of the provided checklists, review of quality management documentation, support in the preparation of CCC certification control procedures)
- full support during the audit (accompanying the inspectors, Chinese-English professional interpreter and verification of the inspection report)
- complete preparation for obtaining the CCC trademark permission (best practices on marking, request for printing permission and templates for applying the CCC logo, and factory code for the products)
- complete organisation of follow-up certification, including audit
- extension of the print permission.
What if my product is not CCC-marked?
As of 1 May 2003, products exported to China without a CCC mark may be detained by the Chinese customs and subject to sanctions or dispatched back to the sender.