SOLAS is the IMO convention to ensure Safety Of Life At Sea, a set of international standards released first in 1914, in consequence to the Titanic disaster. Today SOLAS regulates basic safety aspects for ships on international voyages such as stability, machinery, electrical installations, fire protection and lifesaving appliances.
The main objective of the SOLAS Convention is to specify minimum standards for the construction, equipment and operation of ships, compatible with their safety.
The current SOLAS Convention includes the following chapters:
Further IMO Codes provide guidelines in line with SOLAS requirements, such as:
- Chapter I: General Provisions
- Chapter II-1: Construction – Subdivision and stability, machinery and electrical installations
- Chapter II-2: Fire protection, fire detection and fire extinction
- Chapter III: Life Saving Appliances and arrangements
- Chapter IV: Radio Communications
- Chapter V: Safety of Navigation
- Chapter VI: Carriage of Cargoes
- Chapter VII: Carriage of Dangerous Goods
- Chapter VIII: Nuclear Ships
- Chapter IX: Management for the Safe Operation of Ships
- Chapter X: Safety Measures for high-speed crafts
- Chapter XI-1: Special Measures for enhance maritime safety
- Chapter XI-2: Special Measures for enhance maritime security
- Chapter XII: Additional safety measures for bulk carriers.
- International Safety Management (ISM) Code
- Life-Saving Appliances (LSA) Code
- Fire Test Procedures (FTP) Code
- Fire Safety Systems (FSS) Code.
WHY RINA SERVICES?
RINA SERVICES is authorized to act on behalf of over 100 Flag States, for the activities related to SOLAS verifications and certification. We serve ship owners all over the world through our office global network and our highly skilled personnel.
SERVICE STEPS AND TEAM
RINA SERVICES performs verifications at the time of construction and throughout a vessel's service life, based on a satisfactory document review and periodical surveys of the vessel, when delegated for these purposes by a Flag Administration.We issue the following SOLAS certificates:
- International Bulk Chemical Certificate
- International Certificate for Ships Carrying Liquefied Gases in Bulk
- High Speed Craft Safety Certificate
- Safety Construction Certificate
- Safety Equipment Certificate
- Safety Radio Certificate
- Passenger Ship Safety Certificate
- Document of Compliance for the Carriage of Dangerous Goods.
Where can I find a copy of the SOLAS Convention?
Purchase it from IMO Publications
and see it on the IMO website
Is it possible to perform SOLAS verifications at the same time as other statutory activities?
Yes, the Harmonized System of Survey and Certification (HSSC) allows statutory surveys for different certificates to be carried out at the same time.
Are specific training courses available?
RINA Academy provides training courses on international regulations, including the SOLAS convention.
Please contact us for course calendars or to arrange a tailored made course for your personnel.