Entered in force on 1st
July 2004 (SOLAS Chap. XI-2), the ISPS Code is a comprehensive set of measures to enhance the security of ships and port facilities.
Its objectives are to determine which security measures are appropriate and to provide a standardized, consistent framework for evaluating risk, through determination of right security levels and corresponding security measures.
ISPS Code applies to the following oceangoing ships:
- passenger ships, including high-speed passenger craft
- cargo ships, including high-speed craft, of 500 gross tonnage and upwards
- mobile offshore drilling units.
ISPS Code has two parts, one mandatory (Part A) and one recommendatory (Part B).
The ISPS Code takes the approach that ensuring the security of ships and port facilities is a risk management activity. To determine what security measures are appropriate, an assessment of the risks must be made in each particular case.
WHY RINA SERVICES?
RINA SERVICES is recognized by about 100 Flags, with a worldwide network and high skilled auditors able to find out and identify the best suitable solutions for improving the weaker areas and preventing gaps, if any. We can perform ISPS certification also for ships not classed with RINA SERVICES.
The ISPS certification procedure consists of the following steps:
- Ship Security Assessment (SSA) and Ship Security Plan (SSP) submitted to RINA for review and approval
- interim verification on board and issue of an interim International Ship Security Certificate (ISSC) valid six months
- initial verification on board, within interim expiring date, and issue of the full term ISSC – International Ship Security Certificate, valid for 5 years
- intermediate verification during 3rd year of the certification period
- ISSC renewal required after 5 years.
What is a SSA – Ship Security Assessment more in detail?
It is a basic part of the process to be carried out by appropriate skilled personnel and it shall include at least:
Is it possible to carry out ISPS an ISM audits at the same time?
- an on-scene security survey
- identification of existing security measures, procedures and operations
- identification and evaluation of key ship board operations to be protected
- identification of possible threats to the key ship board operations, so to prioritize security measures
- identification of weaknesses, including human factors, policies and procedures.
Yes, RINA SERVICES can arrange to send one of more auditors qualified for both certifications and perform the two audits during the same intervention.What about harmonization of ISPS, ISM and other management systems certification?
RINA SERVICES offers also
OHSAS 18001 and
ISO 50001 certifications and may plan on a customized basis a suitable audits scheduling in a best practice view.
Are specific training courses available?
Yes, training courses to qualify ISPS personnel are supplied by RINA Academy. Please contact us for courses calendars or to arrange a tailored made course for your personnel.