Companies that trade or process forestry products can certify their production with the FSC®-CoC (Forest Stewardship Council®) and PEFC-CoC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) marks to protect themselves against the illegal trade of timber caused by the sharp increase in demand for timber products.
The European Union has made a concerted effort to regulate this situation and introduced the Timber Regulation (EU) no. 995/2010, effective from 03/2013, that prohibits the placing of illegally harvested timber and timber products on the EU market.
- Guarantee that timber and timber products are harvested from responsibly managed forests, respecting ecological, social and ethical values
- more control of production processes
- improved management of incoming and outgoing forestry products
- expansion of trade with companies that require forestry certification
- due diligence by operators that place timber on the EU market for the first time.