Directive 89/104/ EEC, art. 15 point 2.
EC Regulation 40/94 art. 64.
Italian legislative decree no. 30 art. 11 (industrial property rights code) dated 10 February 2005.
This service is offered by Agroqualità S.p.A., a RINA Services controlled company
- Companies and/or public organisations whose role is to guarantee the origin, nature or quality of specific products or services in order to grant use of the mark, according to the requirements of the respective rules, to producers and traders
Reasons and benefits
The purpose of the Geographical Collective Mark is essentially to guarantee the quality, nature or origin of a product.
Reasons for implementation include:
- filing an application, registration and amendment procedures sufficiently streamlined and quick
- a sector with concise but effective rules
- geographical name and actual production territory the same
- more suited to niche and short chain products
- can be applied not only to a specific product but also to a series of similar products
The fundamental document for the Community or collective mark for products is the Rules for use of the Mark which must be enclosed with the application for registration.
To obtain the Geographical Collective Mark – GCM, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- preparation of a specification containing only the name of the product, production area, product characteristics and production techniques
- registration of a mark and attachment of the rules for use which specify, as well as the conditions for access by interested operators (and above all compliance with the specification), the system of sanctions for offenders and the control mechanism
- definition of a system of controls, which may be made by the proprietor of the mark or through an independent third party, which is preferable for reasons of transparency